Whether you’ve been climbing before, you’re looking for a new sport that pushes your limits, or if you always wanted to try rock climbing, the Mountaineering Club is the club to join!
Club members have free access to the indoor Climbing Wall located in the Kingfisher Gym.
The Wall is open for climbing between 6-10pm Monday-Friday (during term time)
In order to climb with us, you must have passed a climbing assessment.
To be eligible for the climbing assessment, you must have taken our two beginner climbing lessons.
If you have experience rope climbing and belaying, scroll down
For new members who would like to climb:
Lessons & Assessment
- Climbing lesson tickets go on sale on our webstore at 12pm every Monday
Tickets cost €12 and include the 2 lessons and climbing shoe rental
- Lesson 1 takes place on Tuesday evening
The lesson lasts for about an hour. You will be taught how to tie a figure of 8 knot, learn about equipment and some new vocabulary, and you give climbing a go!
- Lesson 2 takes place on Thursday evening
The lesson lasts for about an hour. In this lesson, you will be taught how to belay (control the rope) and try climbing some more!
NOTE: YOU ATTEND BOTH LESSONS IN THE SAME WEEK
Tickets are available for multiple timeslots. Pick your timeslot and attend at this time for both lessons.
Current Lesson Timeslots:
Tuesdays & Thursdays
18:00 – 19:00
19:00 – 20:00
- Once you have completed both lessons, you must book an assessment to be able to climb with the club. Assessment tickets also go on sale at 12pm every Monday, costing €6, and including climbing shoe rental.
You will be assessed to ensure you can climb and belay safely based on what you learned during the lessons. Once you pass the assessment, you will be given a climbing card which allows you to climb with us.
Current Assessment Timeslots:
Monday @ 18:30
Wednesday @ 18:30
NOTE: YOU CANNOT TAKE THE ASSESSMENT ON THE SAME DAY YOU HAVE A LESSON
We understand that these slots may not suit everyone, and hope to extend our timeslots to additional days and times throughout the year. Keep an eye on our emails, Signal groupchat, and Instagram page for up to date info.
What you’ll need
- A tight fitting pair of runners/shoes or boots or climbing shoes. The club has climbing shoes to rent for a cost of €2. This cost is covered in the price of your ticket.
- Tracksuit bottoms/leggings, or a loose/baggy pair of jeans.
- Tie back any long hair.
- Your confirmation of booking email
What if you have climbed and belayed before?
Everyone who climbs with the club must be assessed.
If you have experience rope climbing and belaying, you may not require the beginner lessons.
Book an assessment through our webstore as described above. You will receive a climbing card if you pass.
Please note: You must fill out the medical form before taking part in any event. It can be found here. If you have any serious conditions you must notify the committee and if deemed necessary you may be asked to get a signed doctors note that it is safe for you to take part.
CANCELLATION POLICY: No refunds can be offered on purchases.